Saturday, February 14, 2009

Why reading is good.

In writing my last post, I found some other points in my brainage that I want to throw at you:

One of the many reasons for my love of photography is that it can tell a story without words. As a photographer, I'm a visual person telling visual stories. Photography helps me move and learn ideas and concepts better than I can with a keyboard or pencil. But the written word is still amazingly important.

I often credit Stacy for teaching me to read in college. I've twice learned to read. I'm a slower reader, but she really inspired me to explore reading for my own enjoyment. Her addiction to James Patterson became my own. She's my inspiration in more ways than one.

Advice from John:

1. If you want to learn and develop yourself, read stuff. It takes time, but it's easy. I've realized that, at some point, you have to stop giving excuses and just do it.

2. Public education doesn't always do what it is supposed to do. If you make babies, teach them to read a.s.a.p. so they don't end up with a third-grade reading level in college (I was seriously a slow reader until about 4 years ago. It wasn't fun.). If what I've observed is true, your kids will be much more intelligent, caring, understanding and respected in the long run. It's no news that knowledge is powerful, especially when it is voluntarily learned. By hearing others communicate, your kids will also be able to communicate much more effectively. (One of my ~30-year-old coworkers unknowingly spelled "do" as "due" in an email message to me today, and I've already forgot what the message was about.)

You know what I just realized? You're already reading. Perhaps I'm preaching to the choir. I need to go to bed.

Thanks for reading, in general.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment