Thursday, June 11, 2009

On the steps of the Campanile

Twenty-two days ago, I asked the most important question I've ever asked to the most important person I will ever meet. Here's how it went down:

So there I was, it was a typical Wednesday afternoon in Brookings. As I walked out of Daktronics at the end of the workday, Stacy walked into Subway for the workevening. I guided my car into the yellow lines in front of my apartment and paused for a moment, took a deep breath, and told my self, "Yep. This is the night. Let's do this."

I immediately put the Green Machine into rewind and headed for the place to which I unconciously head the most whenever I need something: Wal-Mart.

Before I spill the rest of the story, I should provide a little background for you, my valued readers: I'd had a burning diamond in my pocket for over three months beforehand. I knew the style/cut/size she wanted, so I went and got it (by the way, don't go to a jewelry store if you're not sure what you're looking for. Jewelry salespeople are worse than used car salesmen.) The time was finally right, and I was ready.

So, there I was, wandering the toy aisles of good ole' Wally World searching for the last thing that I thought I would ever need: purple sidewalk chalk. Why? Because Stacy likes purple, and John's got something to write.

They didn't have purple, so I settled for a set (box?) with blue and red pieces. (The best $1.05 I've ever spent.)

Stacy had to work until 9, and it was about 8:30, so I scooted over to the Campanile to scribble a question on the eastern steps.

Stacy was done at 9, changed/cleaned up a little, and we went for a typical hey-it's-nice-outside-so-we-should-go-for-a-walk walk. We chatted and giggled about dorky things as usual while I inconspicuously herded Stacy across campus towards the Campanile green. Needless to say, my chest was pounding, and I was f-ing excited.

We eventually started walking counter-clockwise around the Campanile while Stacy was giggling and giving me crap about something. Eventually, she was walking between me and the eastern side of the Campanile. She was not seeing what I brought her there to see, so I stopped.

"What's wrong?" she said as I paused.

"(Cough) umm (cough) there's, uh, there's something over there," I nervously pointed at the steps.

"What?"

"Umm... there's.... something on the.... (cough)...."

(Looks around the Campanile towards Medary.) "I don't get it."

"Uh.... What's on the steps right there?" I made an obvious point directly at what I had written 30 minutes earlier.

She finally shed her confusion as she spotted the red and blue writing on three steps of the Campanile:


Stacy, Will you marry me? (heart) John

As she internalized the message, I fumbled and struggled to get the ring out of my jacket pocket and nearly lost my (very loseable) balance as I got down on one knee.

She turned around with her hand over her mouth, repeating "Oh my gosh... Oh my gosh... This is happening." Her suprised eyes met my nervous/tearing eyes.

"Will you marry me?" (Voice cracking with emotion.)

Before I could say "me," she blurted out a hearty "Yes!" and I proceeded to try and put the ring on her right hand.

"No, it's supposed to go on the left," and then she let out a small but cute I'm-smarter-than-my-struggling-boyfriend giggle (I had heard it many times before, but it really melted my heart this time). I finally managed to wiggle the ring onto her finger, and we hugged the hug of hugs.

I then produced the red chunk of sidewalk chalk from my other jacket pocket (I didn't want it to get all over the ring) and wrote "She said YES!!!" below the message to inform any curious passers-by of the outcome.

We basked for about 30 minutes sitting on top of my sidewalk-chalked message in the most memorable moment either of us has ever experienced. Neither of us could stop smiling.

As our butts began to get numb from pressure of the limestone step beneath them, we decided to call the moms and the grandmas to spill the news.

That's how it happened. I'm ready to spend more than the rest of my life with this girl, who is also my best friend, and the most talented giggler I've ever met.

Thanks for reading,

John

8 comments:

  1. Great story John. I've never even met you, but I could feel the emotion through your words. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Nelson, anyone who gets engaged on the steps of the Campanile is a friend of mine! I must say, you told the greatest story of your life just magnificently. I even teared up. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible... Congrats and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a night I couldn't sleep, I found your blog for the first time. I shed a few tears. A very nice chapter for the two of you. A terrific story about SDSU that I will tell the next time I get back to visit Brookings and the Campanile. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Aunt Jill thinks you are a very good writer!! Loved the story. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the questions was going to be "Would you like fries with that?".....

    your brother :)

    ReplyDelete